Mikado Hotel: The History
Dating from 1914, the 3-story building at 331-335 E. First
Street was designed as a hotel by California architect
Alfred F. Priest. Before and after World War II, it was known
as the Mikado Hotel. During the war, it was known as the
Shreveport Hotel and housed a well-known soul food restaurant.
The building is a good example of the commercial architecture
that filled American "Main Streets" in the early 20th century.
The first story is glazed white brick, with the second and third
stories being buff brick. The first floor has been restored to
look as it did in 1932.
At street level, the Mikado Hotel was home to serveral commercial and retail establishments such as N. Kimura Restaurant, The Kurahara Clinic, Nisei Grill, Seno Photo Supply and dentist Dr. Kawahara.
The Mikado Hotel was originally constructed with 43 guest
rooms, with shared restrooms and showers.
After sitting vacant for over 30 years, development group,
Capital Foresight purchased the building in 2014.
The Mikado Hotel has been maticulously restored and given new life and an entirely new interior. In addition to a new rooftop lounge and courtyard, the Mikado is now home to 42 micro-suites. Each complete with its own kitchenette and full private bathroom.